Tuesday, June 2, 2009

An Amazing Opportunity




And amazement seized them all, and they glorified God and were filled with awe, saying, “ We have seen extraordinary things today.” Luke 5:26

Yesterday was a great start to our week at camp. Everyone settled into their rooms, ate their first “camp” meal, and gathered for worship. The first day is always a little awkward at camp. New surroundings, new roommates, uncertainty about where you go, and at what time you need to be there. However, after the first full night, new friends are made, new stories are shared about the craziness in their groups, and a new awareness takes hold. For many of us, it takes a day or so for God to break through the walls we seem to have built around us. Our fast paced, entertainment on demand lives have a strong hold on us. In fact many of us have a hard time leaving our cell phones, and ipods, behind. Our lives are so noisy, God who whispers to us in those still moments cannot be heard. In fact, most of the students who shared yesterday, said they want to know God more intimately. When asked the question, “ what is one thing you would like to see happen in your life this week at camp?” most responded with answers of intimacy, and closeness, to Christ.
Why is it that the most amazing thing that has ever happened in humanity, Jesus Christ walked among us, and died for us, does not sound so …well …amazing? No one would actually come out and say it, but most of us, if we were honest ..would share what one teenager shared with me last night….I want to grow close to Christ, but I forget_______. You could fill in the lank couldn’t you. I know I could. I forget what Christ really did. I forget how amazing HE is compared to whatever has my attention at the moment. I forget that the God of the universe wants to meet with me each day. I forget that HE promised to fulfill all my needs each day. I simply forget…

This week pray that our students will remember. Pray that they would gave upon the face of the One who created us…
We are studying about the life of Moses this week. In Exodus 33:11 it says that Moses would meet face to face with God, as a man meets with his friend. Can you imagine what would happen to your student if they would meet God this week? …If they would look up, and gaze on their eternal loving creator, instead of focusing their eyes on the temporary. …It would be amazing.

1 comment: